Nafplio is in the regional unit of Argolis, one and a half hours (147km) southwest of Athens, and approximately one hour and forty five minutes (172km) from Athens International Airport. Klymeni is located just a few minutes from Nafplio. It is an ideal place to relax and come close with the nature. In a distance of less than 2 km, are Palamidi fortness, Karathona beach, and Arvanitia beach. Ideal place for those looking to escape to a quiet and cozy natural observatory, located just a few minutes from the center of the beautiful city of Nafplion. In less than 25 minutes drive you can visit the Ancient Theater of Epidaurus, the Archeological site of Mycenae, and the Citadel of Tiryns with Cyclopean masonry.
According to mythology, nafplio built by and named after the son of Poseidon, Nafplios, picturesque Nafplio is a city of historical and cultural significance. It was one of the most powerful marine domains of all Greek territory during the Mycenaean era. It was later seized, first by the Byzantines, in 1210 by the Franks , followed by the Venetians and then by the Turks until 1822. Finally liberated by the Greeks, it was officially appointed the first Greek capital on May 4th 1827 during the 3rd Constitutional Assembly.
Named after Palamedes, son of Nafplios stands 220m high on the hill above the city of Nafplio. It was first fortified by the Venetians in the 16th century. It was seized by Staikos Staikopoulos on November 30th 1822 and on the 3rd of December 1822 it was turned over to Theodoros Kolokotronis by the Turks. Here you can visit the ruins of Kolokotroni's prison cell. In the month of June, during the music festival there are concerts held here. Access by car on the east side and for the daring, the 999 stairs.
Located at the entrance of Nafplio's port, on the island of Agioi Theodoroi, it was built by the Franks in 1473. Bourtzi got its name from the Turks who called it “Bourtz” which means fortress. It was built to protect the city of Nafplio from invaders by linking chains from the fortress to the city thus, also known as Porto Cadenza (Port of chains). Today a great tourist attraction, visited by boat.
Located just 3.1km southeast of Nafplio it is the largest beach of the area. Karathona beach has beautiful turquoise - blue waters and sandy coast. It is ideal for water sports, sunbathing and enjoying a nice cold frappe.
Directions: Karathona Beach (3.1km)
Theatre of Epidaurus
Epidaurus theater is famous for its great acoustics and precise symmetry it ages back to the 4th century B.C. Even today, especially during the summer months there are theatrical performances held every weekend.
Directions: Epidaurus (28.0km)
Read the latest blog posts